Sunday, May 7, 2017

What's the story in Tobermory?

The big news for this post is that this writer is now a fully accepted, fully funded, PhD-student-to-be at the University of Edinburgh School of Divinity! * This means I have my First-Ever Three-Year Plan, and I'll be spending some serious time in the British Isles and the Middle East. إن شاء الله
With this in mind, I am launching a campaign to persuade friends and family to come and visit me. The ongoing campaign will include travel, photos of varying quality, and weekly blog posts.
The summer's adventures began here, in Tobermory on Mull:


I left Edinburgh on Thursday, April 28 - I and a few friends from the School of Divinity.

First, we took a train, traveling west to Glasgow and then heading north along the western coast of Scotland. The train ride was itself a treat, as we rode through Loch Lomand and its environs. It was a beautiful area, and I can well see why someone would "ever wont to be" with his true love on the banks of such a lovely loch!
Upon arrival in Oban, we took a ferry across to the island of Mull.

 
Then a bus across the island of Mull to Tobermory, where we ate the best fish and chips I have ever tasted!



I tried my first-ever helping of a classic British pudding - sticky caramel toffee cake!


Then a 2-mile walk from the charming village of Tobermory (which, it turns out, is the site of a well-known BBC children's show, so my British friends felt duly nostalgic).


All together, we traveled non-stop for 7 hours. It was a relief to settle into two charming huts at a remote campsite run by a native Mullian named Angus.

*This discounts on premise any unforeseen disaster on my masters thesis, of course. That is how I will spend my summer - details to follow.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a pretty awesome adventure!! I look forward to weekly blog posts :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on the master's thesis! You can do it, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watch all kinds of British mysteries on TV and love the scenery. Your pictures reflect their beauty about them. The language, even though it is called "English" is a bit tricky to understand every word but i get the gist just fine. Miss you and love to follow your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss you too! I'm glad you like the photos - I'll keep sending more!

      Delete